Wednesday, August 24, 2011

If Autumn Lasted Forever

I know it's still summer but with school starting it's easy to feel fall approaching. I begin to dream of it's cooler but comfortable days perfect for a light sweater or jacket that you can cuddle up in as you walk across paths covered in gorgeous leaves of reds and golds. I can hear them crunching under my feet with every step as I look up and watch the others blissfully blow in the autumn breeze. The trees are slowly loosing their gorgeous hair but they look beautiful in the transition. It's not hard to forget the warmth of summer but the autumn air seems to have a perfect combination of hot and cold. Unlike winter the winds don't numb you to the bone as you shake from head to foot awaiting the moment you'll be able to stroll into a cozy building. Unlike summer the sun isn't beating down on you until you turn to rain and drip into a puddle. It's such a beautiful and perfect season but it's life span is short. It comes and goes quickly never to show it's lovely face again until next year.

Maybe this is why I love it so much. It's a rare treat between the two most powerful seasons. I don't complain much in summer since my body seems to get chilled rather easily, but a soft fall breeze after long hot days is never a burden to me. I wish there was a place you could move to where it was fall all year round. If that wonderful place did exist I'd pack my bags tonight and run there if I had to. It seems you can only live in the between for that short period of time. That perfect place with the beauty of summer but the coziness of winter. What could be more dreamy? I guess it'll have to stay in my dreams which is probably the best place. Too much of a good thing never ends well and I'd like to keep dreaming. I would never want something as extraordinary as autumn to become dull to me. I'll be awaiting it's arrival with open arms and a smile on my face and I'll miss it as it goes when winter replaces it's spot and numbs my bones. The wait of a year will be well worth that first day when it comes gliding back into my life. I'll be right here ready to dance in the falling leaves as if they were snowflakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment