Sunday, August 28, 2011

Through the Eyes of a Hopless Romantic

I won't lie, I'm a hopeless romantic. I love the idea of a guy walking up to a girl's front steps with a bouquet of red roses and an adorable smile on his face that shows he has butterflies in his stomach but he's trying hard not to show it. I watch TV shows where boy meets girl, they fall for each other, boy does something extremely cute for girl and cue the love song as the hold hands and walk down the sidewalk together.

Anyone who knows me is aware that I have strong dislike of romantic comedies. I can't watch them just because the people look too fake on screen. The actors and the lines used are so cheesy that they end up looking ridiculous. The scenarios are a little insane and over all it's just not real. What I want is a movie that shows the realness of falling in love. No stupid scene where the girl is running to the airport or she throws a coin in a well and meets her prince charming. It's because of this that I absolutely love the movie "500 Days of Summer" because it's real! I know it's not a love story as stated at the beginning because when you picture a love story the boy and girl end up together. Although it is a love story because Tom (the lead guy) does fall madly in love with Summer. In the end she doesn't love him back, gives hints of this through out the whole movie and even ends up with another guy. Only, that's real. That kind of stuff happens in life everyday to so many people. Despite what you might think, the ending isn't all that sad. Tom finds another girl who he seems to have way more in common with and the ending leaves off to let you decide what might be in store for the new couple. I like to think that even though he felt so much pain with Summer and had bad luck that his pain and heartache led him to the new girl who might be perfect for him. Think about it, in the movie after Summer breaks things off  with Tom, he's heart broken. However, soon after he starts focusing his time on being the architect that he's always wanted to be, quits the job he hates, and goes in for an interview for an architect job he wants which is where he meets this new girl Autumn. Basically if Summer hadn't broken his heart then he would have never met Autumn. It sounds weird but to me that's a real love story.

Everyone will get their heart broken at some point in time even if you're never a couple, but sometimes that leads you to someone better. There's two types of people in the world. People who are hopeless romantics still waiting for their Prince Charming or have found him and people who simply don't believe in love. Personally speaking I think life is easier when you don't believe because then you can never truly get hurt, but I think life is more worth living when you do. Obviously you don't need someone to complete you and some people are perfectly content being on their own. Most of us want that prince or princess and some do find and get that rare happy ending that we all crave. I believe in sticking to your standards because love has no meaning if you get together with someone you aren't truly happy with just because you don't want to be alone. I say wait until someone comes along that is perfect for you. It might not be the easiest thing to wait but good things don't come easy. Wait, scratch that. Amazing things don't come easy. When you wait and find that perfect someone then everything you have together will be worthwhile.

Me? I'm still waiting for my knight in shining armor. I know that when he comes he comes and until then I'll just focus on other aspects of life but I don't think that little girl inside dreaming about her prince will ever leave us. Some people choose to grow bitter about love as they get older. Me, I choose to stay optimistic and romantic as I grow older. What's life without dreams? Besides you'll never find anyone with a harsh out look on life. You know what they say, "someday my prince will come," and I, for one, believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment