Thursday, October 27, 2011

Love, Life, and Happiness

I've noticed lately that a lot of people my age are getting engaged, married, and getting into serious relationships. It also seems to me that in order to be "happy" we need to find our other half right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for romance. I think it's sweet that all these people are finding their better halves but I hate how it seems that if you haven't found someone yet then there's something wrong with you or your life must be horrible.

I don't have a boyfriend or anyone close to one right now but I don't have the feeling that I need one. Sure it would be nice to have one and as a hopeless romantic I hope to find my Prince Charming one day but I have a lot on my mind these days. Not to sound like a nerd, but I like to focus a lot on school. I'm not one who can easily get A's. I have to work extremely hard for my grades but the sense of accomplishment is an amazing feeling. As of now, school is my priority right now because I want my career more than anything.

Most people, however, can't understand that and I can't say I don't blame them. When you visit relatives what's the first thing they ask you? "Have you found a boyfriend yet?" It's never, "How is school?" "What are you studying?" They'll get to that later, but first they're dying to know if you're any closer to getting married. I'm  not saying that everyone is like this, keep in mind that this is simply an example. My point is that finding someone seems to be the biggest and most important thing you can do and I don't agree with that. Yes, it is a big deal. Everyone wants to find someone. As human beings we crave the attention and affection of someone else but it shouldn't be the only thing that can make you truly happy. I can think of a lot of things that make me happy: music, traveling, getting A's on papers I thought I failed, being with friends, watching Batman, clothes, dogs, British accents, the beach, pink, sunshine, and the list goes on and on. Most people let not finding you're other half bring you down but I don't think it should. You will find someone but in the meantime don't let it ruin your life. Find your other passions and forms of happiness and enjoy life until that special someone magically arrives.

I think people need to look at other things in life. Love takes a while for some people to find and if it's not going to come for years then there's no need in beating yourself up over it just because it hasn't happened for you yet. There's so much more in life to focus on and find happiness in. For me, I just want to survive college so I can teach. That's my goal right now and I plan on sticking to it because I know it'll make me happy in the end. Happiness comes in all shapes and sizes. Don't base yours off what other people have. Make you're own happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment